The Lost Target
A web based news service for gun enthusiasts.


Firearm Dealers

  • Gun - International Firearms Transfer Agents  Over fifteen International Firearms Transfer Agents listed!

    To purchase a firearm from overseas, including Canada, you must make arrangements with a dealer to handle the importation.

    A request to import a firearm must be made on ATF's Form 6. It takes 4-6 weeks for ATF to process this form and return it to the dealer.

    If you have not made arrangements with a dealer to import a firearm on your behalf before you purchase one, (i.e. you buy it on the spur of the moment during a trip abroad and return to the U.S. with it in your possession), Customs will detain the weapon for 30 days, during which time you should try to make arrangements for a registered dealer to handle the importation for you. If ATF is unable to expedite the paperwork and your firearm is not claimed within 30 days, it could be transferred to a general order warehouse and you will have to pay the storage fees. After 60 days of transfer to the warehouse, it could be sold at auction.

    ATF Web Site - FAQ:

    (L1) May a licensed dealer who does not have an importer's license make an occasional importation?

    Yes. A licensed dealer may make an occasional importation of a firearm for a non-licensee or for the licensee's personal use (not for resale). The licensee must first submit an ATF Form 6, Part I to ATF for approval. The licensee may then present the approved Form 6 and completed ATF Form 6A to U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Contact the Bureau of ATF, Firearms and Explosives Imports Branch for forms.

    ATF Form 6 - Paragraph 3.  A Federal firearms licensee, other than an importer, may make an occasional importation of sporting firearms or ammunition (excluding surplus military) for himself or an unlicensed person in the licensee's State, provided that the firearms and ammunition are intended for personal use of the person for whom imported and not for resale. ATFF 6 - Part I (5330.3A) is used to obtain approval for such importation.

    Import Barrel (Firearm)

    atf-p-5300-4 - 478.113a - Importation of firearm barrels by nonlicensees.

    (a) A permit will not be issued for a firearm barrel for a handgun not generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes. No firearm barrel shall be imported or brought into the United States or possession thereof by any nonlicensee unless the Director issues a permit authorizing the importation of the firearm barrel.

    (b)(1) An application for a permit, ATF Form 6 Part I, to import or bring a firearm barrel into the United States or a possession thereof under this section must be filed, in triplicate, with the Director. The application must be signed and dated and must contain the information requested on the form.



    Purchasing from a Canadian

    A Canadian cannot simple drop a firearm in the mail and ship to your FFL, nor can the Canadian just cross the border and sell a firearm or a barrel.

    Canadian Seller:

  • Exporting a Firearm to Another Country

    When a firearm is transferred to someone in another country, the laws of that country as well as the laws of Canada apply. In the United States, the laws may vary from state to state.

  • I want to permanently export a firearm to the US.

    Post From - 7 January 2004 - Firearm Purchase From Canadian Dealer

    I wonder how much blood and sweat is involved in purchasing a used trap gun and having it shipped over the border to my FFL holder.


    It takes some time but can be done.  The time consuming part is waiting for the ATF permit.  Here is what you need to do and be aware of.  I am speaking from experience because I just bought an unfired BT99 Plus from a Canadian dealer.

    1.  Make your deal for the gun.  Be aware that you may have to pay 2.6% duty on the gun and 11% excise tax on top of that.  Example: Buy a gun for $1,000 and add $136 duty/tax plus about $35 in shipping to get it to the U.S.  The dealer I dealt with held the gun for me while I was doing step 2.

    2.  Have your local FFL holder send in ATF form 6, part 1.  This is the application to import a gun from anywhere outside the US.  Wait six weeks and they will get it approved and sent back with ATF Form 6A.  6A is the customs release form.

    4.  Send the Canadian dealer the ATF permit and Form 6A.  He will package the gun and can ship it via international mail.  He will attach a customs declaration form and the ATF permit/form to the outside of the box and ship it to your dealer.  It will clear customs at an international mail branch like the one in Chicago and be shipped to your dealer.  If duty is assessed when it clears customs the dealer will have to pay this at the post office when he picks up the package along with a $5 paper processing fee.

    5.  Do the customary paper work with you dealer and the gun is yours.

    6.  Fill out the excise tax form that the ATF sends along with the permit and submit the tax if required on the gun you are buying.

    I ended up paying $170 more for the gun than I expected because I did not realize there was an excise tax on some guns.

    I researched everything via the inernet on the ATF, customs, and Treasury Department websites.  I even called US customs to make sure I could do it.  They said as long as I had my permits it would sail through.

    Posted By: Joe Potosky

    The Lost Target
    A web-based news service
    for gun enthusiasts

    Please consider making a small donation
    if you wish to help with the cost of maintaining this site