The Lost Target
A web based news service for gun enthusiasts.

Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by

Custom Search

Canadians Importing Firearms, Parts,
Ammunition, Powder, & Primers From the U.S.

Must Read: Purchasing Firearms and Parts of Firearms in the U.S. - U.S. Customs and Border Protection

All U.S. firearm sales (dealer or private) must go through a Federal Firearm License (FFL) holder.  For nonimmigrant aliens (not a resident) the FFL will ship the firearm to Canada (You cannot take Possession).

In addition, under U.S. law the export of ammunition, primers, powder, and barrels requires a U.S. export permit.  Ammuntion you brought into the states on a ATF Form 6NIA does not require an additional permit.

Firearm Dealers

The following businesses are aware of paperwork requirements and will move a firearm across the border!

If your aware of a Canadian company that will import a firearm or an American FFL that will ship to Canada, please send information for posting.

Did you find this information helpful?
Please consider making a donation

The Canadian Import Process

Importing Firearms, Firearm Parts and Ammunition (Canadian Fact Sheet) 

FAQ Canadian Export and Import Controls Bureau - Firearm Purchased in the US 

Importation of Explosives

Canadian Law: Quantities that may be imported for personal use by a Canadian and not for sale without requiring an Explosives Importation Permit from Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) include:

  • small-arms, sporting ammunition, up to a maximum of 5,000 rounds;
  • primers, up to a quantity of 5,000;
  • empty primed cartridge cases, up to a quantity of 5,000; and
  • propellants, smokeless powder in containers not exceeding 4 kilograms and black powder in containers not exceeding 500 grams, up to a maximum total combined quantity of 8 kilograms, (17.66 pounds).

However, this is in conflict with US export laws.

A common belief is a Canadian who purchases, wins, or is given ammunition, primers, and/or powder can return to Canada with the items. This is not correct. If stopped at a secondary US Border Patrol checkpoint prior to reaching the border, at a minimum all such items can be confiscated.

The US govenment requires an export permit for ammunition or ammunition components (powder and primers).  Permit required even if won at a shoot or given by a friend!

Shipping Gun Parts to Canada

Question: I want to buy parts in the US for my firearm and import them into Canada.

Under USA regulations, suppliers in the United States need an export permit to permanently export firearms and firearm parts to Canada.  To get an export permit, they need to include a Canadian import document with their application.  It is up to you or your import agent to obtain such a document from the Government of Canada and give it to your supplier.

Your supplier does not require a Canadian import document for muzzle-loading firearms, antique firearms, pellet guns or BB guns.  Neither do they require one for shipments of firearm parts (other than frames, barrels, cylinders, receivers, and complete breech mechanisms) with a total wholesale value of less than $100 US. Update: $500 value, see below.

It should be noted that there is no equivalent exemption offered by the Department of Commerce for shotgun parts.  Further, there is no exemption for ammunition or ammunition components.


§ 123.17 -- Exports of firearms and ammunition (Revised 2013)

(a) Except as provided in § 126.1 of this subchapter, District Directors of Customs shall permit the export without a license of components and parts for Category I(a) firearms, except barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames) or complete breach mechanisms when the total value does not exceed $ 500 wholesale in any transaction.


Borderview Posting.  As of July 2013, the previous “$100 limit” has been raised to $500 USD” for Canada only.

United States law (specifically the “ITAR” – International Traffic in Arms Regulations”) allows for the export without an export license of certain firearm-related parts and components. This guide provides some details about the so-called “small parts exemption.” Here are the basics:

  • Does not apply to any parts/components related to Shotguns (these are regulated by the U.S. Department of Commerce rather than the U.S. Department of State, and there is not equivalent exemption for shotgun parts in the Export Administration Regulations).

  • Does not apply to ammunition-related parts and components. These are classified as “Category III on the U.S. Munitions List, while the exemption only refers to “Category I(a) firearms.”

  • Does not apply to “Significant Military Equipment,” which includes any firearm itself.

  • Also does not apply to barrels, cylinders, frames (receivers), or complete breach mechanisms.

  • Exemption can only be used and claimed by a DDTC Registered Exporter (not just any business, nor a foreign individual traveling in the US).

  • As the Registered Exporter, we must still file documentation online (using the Automated Export System, or AES) to notify the government that we’re using this exemption, including the item description, tariff code, value, weight, date of export and Port of Exit.

  • By law, orders cannot be broken up into smaller shipments to meet the $100/500 threshold.

  • It is defined in the law as $100 ($500 for Canada) “wholesale” value, so in limited cases we may export something that retails for slightly more than $100/$500 USD if our wholesale cost is less than the applicable amount


    Controlled products to be documented and reported to the US State Dept. by the exporter even if under the exemption.


    Brownells Website:

    There are a number of items which Brownells sells which need US State Department approval and an export license before they can be shipped out of the country. The regulations are complex and constantly changing but our staff is here to help you understand what is needed and will gladly work with you to correctly accomplish the task.

    Generally speaking, items which usually need a license are:

    •Barrel Liners
    •Various other gun parts such as triggers, sears, ejectors, magazine tubes, scopes, and other items if the ordered amount is over $100.00 US.

    Barrel Shipment Policy: Barrels may not be shipped outside of the U.S.A.

    Many of our items are classified as Gun Parts. There are strictly enforced rules that go along with these parts.

    A Gun Part is “any item necessary to the operation of a weapon”. Many parts fall within this category, such as triggers, magazines, grips and barrels.

    Current Regulations require An Export License for all Gun Part orders exceeding $100 (U.S.) WE CAN NOT SHIP any orders over $100 U.S for gun parts.

    Numrich Gun Parts

    If you are placing an order for shipment outside of the United States, please review the following information regarding foreign orders.

    • International orders with a purchased parts value that exceeds $200 are not accepted. We do accept orders from Canada with a purchased parts value up to $1,000.

    • International orders containing restricted parts requiring an export license from the U.S. Department of State are not accepted. We do not obtain export licenses through the State Department.

    • International orders containing unrestricted parts, requiring an import license from the country of destination are accepted. Please fax us your proof of import permit and we'll pack it with your order.

    • The United States Government has export restrictions in place for items such as barrels, barrel blanks, bolt assemblies, cylinders, receivers, frames, bolts, high capacity magazines, shotgun magazines, shotgun magazine extension tubes, shotgun complete trigger mechanisms, etc.

    Posted By: Joe Potosky

    The Lost Target
    A web-based news service
    for gun enthusiasts

    Please consider making a small donation
    if you wish to help with the cost of maintaining this site